Thursday, January 13, 2011

Don’t know why Deccan Chargers did not bid for me: Adam Gilchrist

New Kings XI Punjab skipper Adam Gilchrist, who captained Deccan Chargers to title in 2009, tells DNA that the image of the league has taken a beating because of the recent controversies.

So you will be back in India soon.
The IPL and India have been very kind to me and I enjoy coming to India. I’m going to spend more time in India and will look to promote the competition and make friends there. The IPL 4 is going to be another exciting season of cricket. Obviously, I’m now going to be a Kings XI Punjab player, the prospect of which is exciting.

What do you say about the Deccan Chargers?
I must say that I enjoyed my time at Deccan Chargers. I loved playing for the team and have many fond memories of my time there. Obviously, my main memory would be winning the IPL 2. I’m proud to have delivered a championship title to the Chargers’ franchise in my time.

But they did not bid for you.
They obviously did not feel that they needed me anymore. I’m not sure what the reasons are. No one in the franchise has ever spoken to me over this or told me that I wasn’t required. They don’t have to. The KXIP are keen to have me and I’m grateful to them. I’m really looking forward to building a new team that will be successful.

Are you disappointed that DC management did not inform you?
That is not for me to comment. That does not mean too much for me, anyway. I wish to say ‘Thank You’ to the people of Hyderabad and Deccan Chargers’ supporters. It is sad that I have to move but that is a franchise decision. I look forward to going back to Hyderabad and meeting up with my friends there.

You are one of the few veterans who commanded a good price while Indian players of your age and experience were rejected.
Well, I think you have to ask the franchises about this. I put my heart and soul into the Deccan team to make it a successful unit. We were very successful, having won once and reached semifinals once. I think the key is hard work and good man-management. The understanding of various personalities and cultures in an IPL team is very important. We need to ensure that all the cultures are respected and everyone in the side feels welcomed. Not just as the captain, but I’m also hoping to do well as a player too and score some runs.

Is it difficult to change loyalties?
Look, I feel I’m a professional. In the IPL setup, it’s necessary to be committed to all parties, franchises, sponsors, the team and the fans. I really look forward to getting a whole new band of supporters in Punjab.

What do you make of the new team?
Like every team, it is a real mix of players from different backgrounds. We have to get some good balance of youngsters there. It’s almost a fresh start for everybody. That’s very exciting.

Which of the other nine teams look strong?
I think all the other nine squads are very dangerous. I have always said that in IPL, any team can beat any side on a given day. It can be very interesting to see what the final squads are.

How has the league changed over the last three years?
The addition of two new teams makes the league more interesting. I understand every team doesn’t play everybody twice. The finals’format is going to be a bit different with play-offs. There is a lot more to play for in the last four stage as well. I’ve played every single game for Chargers in the first three seasons. I’m very proud of the fact that I have guided young players of the Chargers side. It’s a bit disappointing but that is part of the IPL. It is always changing. I now look to change myself as a KXIP player. I’m going to take that role very seriously and want to have a lot of fun doing that.

What about the IPL vis-a-vis international cricket?
It had an impact. T20 cricket had a greater impact on the game and the IPL is more international than an Indian competition. The financial rewards and opportunities are immense but I’m sure all the players taking part in the IPL will agree that they will love to play for their country first.

Do you think the image of the league has taken a beating because of the developments since IPL-3?
Yes. I think so. I think a lot of people are very concerned about some of the governance, regulations and guidelines of the league. I think everyone wants to see how the new management will be able to correct that. So it will be seen how they will showcase the best talent in the world.

Are you anyway worried about your new franchise’s problems and legal troubles?
No. Because they would not have come back into the league if they are not on a strong legal footing. I’ve full confidence in them and look forward to building a successful team and a successful franchise. I will see the team is well-respected by the players and the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make Money Blogging